Brookings-Harbor offers a plethora of exciting events each year that is sure delight visitors and locals of all ages. No matter what you’re into, you’re bound to find an event which caters to your interests – whether it’s art, fishing, sports, food, or something else.
Want to know more about the events happening in Brookings-Harbor each year? Here’s a quick rundown of the community’s fun signature events:
- Kick off the new year by checking out the Port of Brookings Harbor Crab Festival, a fun-filled event with live music performances, a chowder cook-off, crab races, arts and crafts vendors, food booths, dinner, and other fun activities.
- You can go whale watching in Brookings-Harbor any time of the year. Head to Cape Ferrelo or Harris Beach and bring a pair of binoculars, or better yet charter a boat if you’d like a chance to see them up close.
- The popular Azalea Festival is Brookings-Harbor’s signature Memorial Day Weekend event for over 75 years. The festival consists of a wide variety of separate attractions: a parade along Chetco Ave., the Curry County Cruisers Car Show, Party at the Port in Harbor, the Street Fair & Kids Carnival, and so much more.
- Starting on the last Saturday of May and ending mid-October, the Artisan Market is an outdoor market featuring over 60 vendors made up of local farmers, artisans, and family businesses. Visitors can browse through a smorgasbord of food items, produce, and arts and crafts, while enjoying live music performances from local musicians.
- The Wild Rogue Relay takes runners on an epic journey along the picturesque Rogue River and through the majestic Cascade Mountains before finally reaching the scenic Oregon coast. The 218-mile relay race kicks off outside Jacksonville, Oregon and ends at the scenic Azalea Park in Brookings.
- Enjoy the 4th of July Fireworks show at Sportshaven Beach. Other events that take place on this day are Kids Boardwalk Dash, Funky Foot Race, and Bluegrass on the Boardwalk.
- The Southern Oregon Kite Festival offers a unique opportunity to witness national and international kite flyers grace the skies with their colorful creations. This event usually takes place on the third weekend of July.
- Drop by Slugs ‘N Stones Ice Cream Cones at the Port of Brookings harbor to enjoy the annual Community Chili Cook Off.
- The Art Festival showcases the work of talented local artists. See original artwork, handcrafted items, and witness live music performances at the lovely Stout Park.
- Witness a spectacular pirate-themed reenactment at the Pirates of the Pacific Festival, held at the Boardwalk in Brookings-Harbor.
- On Labor Day weekend, head to the Slam’n Salmon Ocean Derby for a weekend of ocean fishing, along with shopping, music, and dining along the harbor.
- The quirky Raining Cats and Dogs event brings excitement to Brookings-Harbor every year. In this event, visitors and locals purchase a numbered ticket to win thousands of dollars. Several bins filled with rubber cats and dogs (each with a number) are emptied over a large target via helicopter. The rubber cat or dog that lands closest to the center is the winning entry – whoever picked the number gets to take home the cash prize.
- Every December, Nature’s Coastal Holiday Light Show transforms Azalea Park into a glowing holiday wonderland with more than 500,000 colorful lights and sculptures. Be sure to drop by from 5pm to 9pm to see the show. The event starts after Thanksgiving, all the way through Christmas.